Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen has confirmed that four people lost their lives and at least 30 others were injured during anti-fuel protests that affected several parts of the country on Monday.
Speaking at Harambee House on the evening of May 18, Murkomen described the deaths as unfortunate and said the government was concerned by the level of violence witnessed in counties such as Nairobi, Nakuru, Kajiado, and Kakamega.
He blamed political actors for what he termed as organised chaos and destruction during the demonstrations.
According to the CS, security agencies had arrested 348 suspects linked to the unrest. He said the government would take firm action against those responsible, insisting that criminal acts should not be disguised as peaceful demonstrations.
Murkomen stated that looting businesses, vandalising public property, and blocking roads would not help lower fuel prices. He said such actions only worsen the economic challenges facing ordinary Kenyans by disrupting transport, destroying businesses, and affecting livelihoods.
He also revealed that investigations had been launched into several serious incidents reported during the protests. These include the burning of United Democratic Alliance offices, trucks set on fire, attacks on civilians, and clashes involving police officers.
In Nakuru County, a supermarket linked to a Member of Parliament allied to UDA was allegedly looted, an incident Murkomen described as part of a coordinated effort to intimidate government supporters and create fear among people with different political views.
He further claimed that the burning of UDA offices was politically sponsored and assured the public that those involved would be identified and prosecuted. He said authorities were working to establish the identities of all criminals who targeted civilians, police officers, and businesses during the protests.
On transport disruptions, Murkomen said security teams had managed to clear most of the roads that had been blocked by protesters, including Thika Road, which remained inaccessible for most of Monday.
Transport stakeholders were holding talks with the Treasury and the Transport Ministry in an effort to prevent further disruptions. Earlier, Matatu Owners Association chairman Albert Karakacha had called for dialogue with the government, saying the strike would continue until concerns over rising fuel prices were addressed.
