Tension is rising in Nairobi after Senator Edwin Sifuna cautioned Governor Johnson Sakaja over a planned Cooperation Agreement set to be signed at State House at 3:00 PM on Tuesday, February 17, 2026.
A media invite confirmed that the National Government and Nairobi City County will formalize the deal, a move that has sparked questions among leaders and residents.
Edwin Sifuna said he was surprised by the announcement and questioned why Nairobi residents were not informed in advance. He argued that such a significant decision requires public participation and consultation with county leaders.
According to him, any action that touches on devolved functions must strictly follow the Constitution.
Sifuna reminded Johnson Sakaja that he had previously assured leaders that no county roles would be transferred. The planned signing at State House has raised concern among city stakeholders who fear a possible shift of powers.
The senator warned that any unconstitutional attempt to claw back devolution would face strong resistance.
He stressed that Nairobi’s leadership would not remain silent if county authority is quietly handed over. Sifuna added that he will issue a detailed statement once the full contents of the agreement are made public. For now, he urged the governor to act within the law and ensure transparency.
Nairobi Governor Johnson Sakaja anf president William Ruto at the past event. Photo Courtesy/Nairobi Leo.
Governor Sakaja has in the past dismissed claims that he intends to surrender county functions. He described such reports as false and maintained that Nairobi’s constitutional mandate remains intact.
During his recent State of the County Address, he told members of the County Assembly that no functions would be transferred.
The governor acknowledged that Nairobi’s role as the capital city often requires close cooperation with the National Government. He said collaboration in areas such as infrastructure and service delivery is normal but must follow the Urban Areas and Cities Act. He insisted that any partnership would respect county authority.
Sakaja also pointed to the 2020 Nairobi Metropolitan Services period following the impeachment of former Governor Mike Sonko. He noted that the arrangement left the county with pending bills of about Ksh16 billion and low staff morale, saying it disrupted devolution and created confusion in responsibilities.
Many Nairobi residents are watching closely to see whether the agreement will promote cooperation or trigger another dispute over devolution.